Friday, August 28, 2009

A Passion for Puffy...(Muffin that is)!

Today, we would like to share with you our thoughts on a fabulous establishment. Puffy Muffin. Puffy Muffin is a bakery and cafe/restaurant that is located in Brentwood, TN. I have some great things to say about this place.

First of all, I would like to start out by saying the number one reason why I like Puffy Muffin is because they serve breakfast. You can't find too many places that serve a fine southern breakfast and Puffy does just this. If you want a light breakfast, try the poppy seed or banana nut muffins. But, I cannot go "light" when I eat at Puffy (come on, I'm a chowhound)! What I like to go for is the "create your own omelet plate." You can chose from ingredients like bacon, sausage, ham, red onion, red and yellow pepper, mushrooms, or spinach. The plate comes with one side and a biscuit. The breakfast sides that I prefer is the hash brown casserole or home fries. Mainly, the home fries though.

If you are a pancake eater, Puffy Muffin also has some fantastic pancakes that I suggest trying. Another great option is the Southwestern quiche. The quiche changes daily, so if you are there when they are serving the southwestern quiche...take my advice and try it, because you cannot go wrong. You can also purchase larger quiches at the bakery to take home and heat up for later. And these are big enough to serve 6-8 people. 

I am also a lover of breakfast sandwiches. If you like these, then try the sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant. The eggs benedict is great too, by the way, but you can only get it on Saturdays.

Now time to talk about lunch...

For lunch, I would like to start off by talking about the Puffy Muffin Burger. It is out of this world! Many people would not think to order the burger here (simply because there are so many other great options to chose from), but I think their burger is up there with some of the best in town. In fact, whenever my husband orders it, I usually end up eating it all! They use sirloin which makes it great and their homemade bun also makes this burger "the shiz!"

Definitely try a cup of tortilla soup as an appetizer, because it is some of the best that I have ever had.  It has a creamier thicker base then your typical brothy tortilla soup.   Some other great things to try is their chicken salad and pimento cheese. If you want a smaller version try these on their homemade rolls. YUM!

Two other great southern dishes are the poppy seed casserole and English Hot Ham. The English Hot Ham is similar to the famous Louisville Hot Brown, which is a combination of turkey and ham over an English muffin topped with melted homemade pimento cheese. This is served open-faced with pickles on top...are you drooling yet? Do keep in mind, that if you are planning on having the crunchy chicken casserole or poppy seed chicken casserole that they do not serve these on Saturdays.

Also, Puffy Muffin had added some new items to the menu that I would like to discuss...the following are not however, available on Saturdays either. The taco salad is good new addition.  If you are on a diet, you can order it with ranch and sour cream on the side and use salsa for the dressing. Also, the chicken quesadilla is a new menu item and it is pretty good. A good new side to try is their fried mushrooms. If you dip those suckers in ranch they are delicious! My advice, when you are at the Puffy Muffin, do not get something boring like the turkey sandwich, get something good, fattening and delicious, because good food like this doesn't come around to often!

Okay my favorite subject...Dessert!

Puffy Muffin is well known for their bakery. I have to say that I do not know if there has ever been a time where I have left The Puffin Muffin without a cookie in my hand. They have many different cookies to chose from like chocolate chunk, M&M, Mocha crinkles, English Toffee, Macadamia Nut/white chocolate, molasses, sugar, and snicker doodle...(basically, you name it, they got it.) I have tried their chocolate ganache cake and it is awesome, as well. So, is the Boston Cream Pie. But my favorite dessert there is the chocolate bomb. I am dying to meet the person who invented these things. It is litterally an explosion of greatness!  The texture and taste combination is delightful! Trust me on this one y'all!

These are just the desserts that I have tried, but I know that anything they make is excellent, because they have been in the biz for over 23 years! They know their sweets.

Some reminders:

-Puffy Muffin is always packed for lunch. It is not that hard to get a table if you try and get their before 11.
-They will only put your name down if your entire party is there.
-Also, if you are in a hurry, and do have time to wait and eat they do have many sandwiches available for pick up, like their chicken salad rolls or pimento cheese rolls. They also have salads you can pick up to go or pints of their homemade chicken salad and pimento, as well.
-Also, if you need something for the family for dinner and you don't have time to cook...pick up one of their quiches and a salad and you will have dinner ready in no time.

Hope y'all like my review on the Puffy Muffin. It is a great place with great food. So if you are in the Brentwood area, try it!

For more information on Puffy Muffin visit www.puffymuffin.com

1 comment: